There’s no denying, I LOVE a good smoothie. Even better, I love when a smoothie has medicinal qualities from simple, whole-food ingredients. The following smoothie is ideal for a hangover, flu, or any time you have an upset stomach. This delicious snack will fix you right up!
Banana is one of the main components of the BRAT diet. It soothes your tummy and is easily digested. The potassium also helps to restore any lost electrolytes due to vomiting or diarrhea. Banana has a mild antacid effect, so it’s great for heart-burn or indigestion. It is also the perfect food for morning sickness.
Ginger is absolutely wonderful for upset stomachs and nausea. A simple, fresh ginger tea with local honey is my go-to drink when I am sick or hungover. It also helps relieve migraines and flatulence, both of which often happen concurrently with stomach issues. Ginger helps fight inflammation and also is a natural pain-reliever. *Talk with your Midwife or OBGYN before taking ginger for morning sickness. My research has found conflicting information – Some say it’s perfectly safe in small quantities, others say to steer clear. Best to leave this one to a professional! ;)
- 2 cups frozen organic banana (pre-sliced or diced)
- Approximately 1/2 inch piece of ginger (chopped)
- A little over 1 cup vanilla coconut milk (Or other nut milk. Just add vanilla extract & organic sweetener – honey, molasses, or dates – to taste!)
Place all ingredients in your blender and mix til smooth! It’s that easy! The frozen banana is essential to creating the perfectly thick “milkshake” texture. You can use fresh banana and ice cubes, but I cannot guarantee it’ll be as good. Just sayin…
Optional Healthy Additions:
- 1 Tbs chia seeds for excellent plant-based protein (among other great things)!
- 1/2 to 1 tsp Maca root powder provides energy and stamina!
- 1 tsp spirulina for it’s Chlorophyll-rich benefits!
- A pinch of cinnamon to help control your blood sugar!
- A handful of organic greens (spinach, chard, or kale) to make it a Green Smoothie!
Namaste for now! :)